Wednesday 8 May 2013

THE TEMPLATE

On my way back from Mumbai to Dubai, i was reflecting on what Bro. Hilary had said to me in the taxi on our way to Mumbai from Pune. My brother Antonio and i were invited by him to The Lord's Ranch  http://lordsranch.org/contactus.html

I had shared with him some thoughts on why 'i believed what i believed'. Many of the things i had said went against what he believed and we were at an impasse in our conversation. He said that I was all 'knotted up' and unless i simplified my life, my spiritual growth would be hampered. Whilst i dearly respect Bro. Hilary as an exemplary Christian, i still could not bring myself to a point where i could agree with him on many things related to the traditions in the Catholic Church which he is ready to defend with his life!

At the check-in counter, i was pleased to know that i had been upgraded to business class but then i was sad that my brother was not. As i settled down in my seat, a tall handsome white man sat himself down beside me and flashed me his biggest smile. I introduced myself to him and i was absolutely thrilled to know that he was a founding pastor of many churches. He had just been to India on a pastoral visit. At once i acknowledged the hand of the Lord in this meeting since i could use him as my 'sounding board' to put my mind at rest!

I had a chance to share all that i had shared with Hilary and to my great surprise, he too had something similar to say to me! He said i was listening to too many preachers, teachers and doctrines which were only confusing me. Whilst he acknowledged the many gifts that God had bestowed on me, he opined that the very strengths could be my weaknesses if i was not careful. He said i would be very vulnerable if i was not well grounded in the Word of God. Once i had truly 'chewed on' the word of God and 'digested' it, only then i would be able to apply it as a 'template' to life. Thereafter, i would be able to put to the test all that i hear and do.

"Does this/that fit into the template?" would be a question that would be repeatedly asked before i would accept and apply any teaching/preaching/book information/instruction etc.

.................................................................................................................................................................
Further thoughts:

In 1st Corinthians 15:17, St. Paul saysIf the words of this book are not true, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins. If for this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.” 

If God’s Word is true then you and I are promised strength, comfort, healing, forgiveness, guidance, hope right here, right now, and life eternal in the future. If the Word is true then it has enormous meaning and impact upon not only my eternal life, but for my daily life, and the lives of those around me.
If the stakes are so enormously high and there really only two possibilities don’t you think that one should invest the time and effort to closely examine what is found in a book that may contain a Life Saving—Life Giving—Living Word?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!